1. Meet Qualifications to become an Oregon notary
2. Complete training requirements
Mandatory 3-hour training course is required for all first-time Oregon Notary applicants, and prior Oregon Notaries renewing after commission expiration.
You may either attend a Live Seminar or take the Online Tutorial & Exam to complete the training.
- Live Notary Public Education Seminars (free),
- NEW! Notary Public Web Tutorial & Exam
Instruction Document for New Online Notary Education (Please read and print before continuing) OR
- From an approved Education Provider.
3. Complete the Notary Application with exam
- Applicants completing the online Oregon Secretary of State Notary Public Web Tutorial with online exam are not required to submit a hardcopy (paper) exam; simply record the Education Identification Number on the application.
- All other applicants must submit the hardcopy exam with their application.
4. Mail or deliver application, exam, and non-refundable fee to:
Secretary of State Corporation Division
Attn: Notary Section
255 Capitol Street NE, Suite 151
Salem, OR 97310-1327
5. When you receive your Commission Packet (please allow 2-3 weeks)
- Verify the spelling of your name on the Certificates.
- Please note your new commission number and expiration date.
- Take the Certificate of Authorization to a vendor of rubber stamps to have a seal made.
6. When you receive your notary seal from the seal vendor
- Proofread the seal and Certificate of Authorization to ensure that the spelling of your name, commission number and expiration date are correct.
- Stamp a clean imprint of your seal at the bottom of the Certificate of Authorization, and mail or bring the Certificate to our office. Please note: we do not send an acknowledgement of receipt.
- Purchase a journal at most stationery or office supply stores.
Once you have completed all of these steps, you may begin notarizing on the day of the effective date noted on your Commission Certificate.